The Certificate in Music and Dance is a level 6, progression and access based programme from the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, University of Limerick. For Academic Year 2016/17 this is offered as a full-time, one-year course. There are plans to offer this programme as a part-time two year programme and utilising blended and distance learning. The Certificate differs significantly from other music and dance programs on offer and is a route into all of the pathways of the BA in Performing Arts here at the Irish World Academy in Contemporary Dance, Irish Traditional Dance, World Music, Voice and Irish Traditional Music.
- To provide access for performers to third level education who may struggle, for a variety of reasons, to engage mainstream access routes.
- To encourage the individual to enhance both musical/ dance knowledge and performance.
- Students will cover 10 modules in a 1 year, fulltime programme of lectures, seminars, workshops, and master classes.
- Learners will develop skills in music and dance – any genre is welcome.
This qualification not only enhances performance skills, but also opens doors to further study.
- Pathway into certain degree programmes – in the first instance, successful completion of the course to the required standard will enable students to be considered for a place in second year of the fulltime BA Performing Arts at the University of Limerick.
- Criteria for progression will be based on a number of places available as well as relevance of performance and academic achievement on the Certificate.
- The Certificate will provide training in music literacy, group playing and arrangement, song and dance, enabling the students to work in a variety of educational contexts, both solo and group.
- Dancers will experience ensemble, choreography work and movement awareness.
- This programme will develop academic, literacy and presentation skills, important for a wide range of careers.
- The Certificate will develop students’ current performance abilities and encourage the development of new performance skills including keyboard and composition, leading to the possibility of careers as performers.
- Opportunities in Arts administration and media are a potential career path for students