The Certificate in Music and Dance is a level 6, progression and access based programme from the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance, University of Limerick. For this coming Academic Year, this is offered as a full-time, one-year course. There are plans to offer this programme as a part-time two year programme and utilising blended and distance learning. The Certificate differs significantly from other music and dance programs on offer and is a route into the second year of all of the BA degrees here at the Irish World Academy in Contemporary Dance, Irish Traditional Dance, World Music, Voice and Irish Traditional Music.
- To provide access for performers to third level education who may struggle, for a variety of reasons, to engage mainstream access routes.
- To encourage the individual to enhance both musical/ dance knowledge and performance.
- Students will cover 10 modules in a 1 year, fulltime programme of lectures, seminars, workshops, and master classes.
- Learners will develop skills in music and dance – any genre is welcome.
This qualification not only enhances performance skills, but also opens doors to further study.
- Pathway into certain degree programmes – in the first instance, successful completion of the course to the required standard will enable students to be considered for a place in second year of the fulltime BA Performing Arts at the University of Limerick.
- Criteria for progression will be based on a number of places available as well as relevance of performance and academic achievement on the Certificate.
- The Certificate will provide training in music literacy, group playing and arrangement, song and dance, enabling the students to work in a variety of educational contexts, both solo and group.
- Dancers will experience ensemble, choreography work and movement awareness.
- This programme will develop academic, literacy and presentation skills, important for a wide range of careers.
- The Certificate will develop students’ current performance abilities and encourage the development of new performance skills including keyboard and composition, leading to the possibility of careers as performers.
- Opportunities in Arts administration and media are a potential career path for students